We all love soups at home. Nothing better than a hot cup on a chilly day.
Its also an all-time favourite dinner for me and KJ….a big bowl with some freshly baked bread does the trick !!
I like to make a soup out of almost any vegetable. It’s healthy, light and nutritious !!
Yes I know I sound a bit absurd talking about health foods here on a baking blog….but while I indulge my family with all the cakes and desserts, I somewhere need to balance it out with some healthy eating options.
I’m going to try and post as many healthy yet delicious food options here to share with all of you… (don’t worry I do not believe in health foods that make you feel like a cow eating grass. For me healthy needs to be delicious as well).
I’m on a Soup-high these days….every night is a new soup ….for dinner or for an evening snack ….. look out for this space for more soup recipes coming soon….
Zucchini Soup with Spring Onions
1 medium sized Zucchini chopped into dices
3 Spring Onions chopped along with the greens
4 cloves of Garlic
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 litre of Vegetable Stock
Processed cheese for garnishing
1. In a pot heat the olive oil.
2. Add the garlic and roast till golden brown.
3. Add the spring onions without the greens, saute` for a minute and add the zucchini. Saute for 5 minutes or till zucchini is tender ….but it should not brown.
4. All the salt, pepper, cumin powder and now add the greens from the spring onions. Saute` for another minute and add 1 cup vegetable stock or plain water. Cook till vegetables are cooked through.
Do not cover the pot or you could loose the lovely fresh green colour.
5. Let it cool down. Once cooled blend in the mixer till completely liquified.
6. Stain through the sieve, into the pot and add all the remaining stock. Simmer through on low heat for 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
7. Serve in individual bowls or mugs, garnish with grated cheese and serve warm bread as an accompaniment.
Say cheers to good health !!