Mushroom Dip. Serve it hot. Serve it cold. Yeah… serve it the way you like it. It’s an all year dip. I serve this warm-n-fuzzy with nachos or pita on cold wintry evenings and serve it chilled in summers. This also makes for excellent sandwich spreads too (that was my breakfast today !!).
The base in this dip is the white sauce, though one could do the same with sour cream as well. I’ll try to share a sour cream-mushroom dip recipe as well, a little later. For now here goes the recipe:
Mushroom Dip !!
200g Mushrooms (regular white button mushrooms), finely chopped
1 large Onion, finely chopped
4-5 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp of chilli flakes
Salt to taste
Oil for sauteing
For the white sauce
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp All purpose white flour
1 cup Milk
Salt to taste.
1. Take a pan. Pour oil, saute the garlic till slightly golden. Now add the onions and saute` till translucent.
2. Once the onions are done add the finely chopped mushrooms and saute`.
3. Keep stirring every once in a while till the mushrooms are almost cooked through. This should take about 12-15 minutes on medium to high heat. Now add the salt, dried oregano and chilli flakes. mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes. By this time the moisture from the mushrooms should have evaporated. If not, saute` a little more till the liquid evaporates.
4. While the mushrooms are cooking, we should prepare the white sauce. Take another pan, add 1 tbsp of butter and half a tsp for oil (so that the butter doesn’t burn).
5. Once the butter melts, add the flour and mix well till butter and flour are well combined. Make sure the flour doesn’t change colour, however once the aroma rises, add half the milk and quickly quickly whisk with a spatula or a balloon whisk , into a smooth paste. Make sure there are no lumps formed.
6. Add the remaining milk and mix well. Check for consistency. It should not be very flowy. It should have saucy consistency. If the sauce coats the back of the spoon, it is ready. Add salt and pepper. Mix well.
7. Remove from fire and add the cooked mushrooms.
8. Serve warm. Or if you want to serve cold, let it cool down completely, cover with the cling wrap and refrigerate.